Creative Solutions in Encino & the San Fernando Valley
Call For a Free 15 Min Phone Evaluation

When to Seek a Restraining Order

A restraining order is a court-ordered document meant to protect a person from abuse. This document legally prohibits a person from remotely or physically contacting another person. If someone close to you has inflicted or threatened to inflict violence upon your person, you should seek a restraining order ASAP.

A restraining order can:

  • encourage authorities to help protect you and/or your family members from an abusive person;
  • establish a legal record of abuse;
  • initiate custody and/or visitation orders to help protect a minor child;
  • force an abusive person to move out of a shared home; and/or
  • prohibit an abusive person from contacting you.

A restraining order cannot:

  • guarantee your abuser will stay out of your life (especially if you share children);
  • guarantee your abuser won’t continue to threaten or terrorize you; and/or
  • guarantee there will be no retaliation.

How to Obtain a Restraining Order

To obtain a restraining order you must begin by filing a petition or requesting a temporary restraining order at a courthouse. A court clerk will usually provide the relevant paperwork for you to begin filing the order. Upon completing the necessary forms, a judge will determine whether your situation qualifies for a restraining order.

If a judge believes you to be in immediate danger, they will grant a temporary restraining order that goes into effect immediately and lasts until your official court date. The accused abuser will be invited to attend the court hearing and provide their side of the story. A judge will decide whether to grant a restraining order after both parties present their case.

Helping Ensure Your Safety

At Aharonov & Revy Family Law, our restraining order lawyers are here for you. Our top priority is to help our clients protect themselves and their family members.

To schedule your appointment, contact our firm online or call us at (818) 960-1330.